In 1967 the Texas Legislature directed that the State Board of Education provide, by rules and regulations, for the establishment and operation of regional Education Service Centers (ESCs). Twenty Regional Service Centers were established to provide services to school districts throughout the state. The Centers are service organizations, not regulatory arms of the Texas Education Agency, and participation by schools in services of the centers is voluntary.
Chapter 8 of the Texas Education Code, enacted by the 75th Texas Legislature in 1997, specified the following purposes of ESCs:
"Regional Education Service Centers shall:
1. assist school districts in improving student performance in each region of the system;
2. enable school districts to operate more efficiently and economically; and
3. implement initiatives assigned by the legislature or the commissioner."
EDUCATION SERVICE CENTERS FOCUS ON THE WORD IN THE MIDDLE: SERVICE.
Service to, and support of, educators in helping students succeed is at the heart of everything that we do. Every service we provide was developed at the request of schools and we pride ourselves on being responsive to the needs of educators and the communities that they serve.
Region 6 ESC VISION:
Dedicated to Serve.
Region 6 ESC MISSION:
The mission of Region 6 ESC is to empower the educational community to achieve excellence.
REGION 6 ESC WILL:
- Communicate effectively.
- Utilize technology to enhance services.
- Seek and manage organizational resources.
- Recruit and retain quality personnel.
- Promote high student performance.
Region 6 ESC BELIEF STATEMENTS:
- We are here to serve.
- We are committed to excellence.
- Teamwork is crucial to success.
The services provided by the Business Services department are based on efficiency and compliance to provide the most cost-effective services to meet the districts’ needs. The goal is to serve multiple districts that may receive reliable services at a reasonable cost. Services are performed in accordance with the requirements of TEA’s Financial Accountability System Resource Guide, and are contracted on an annual basis as a comprehensive package or as a customized service.